Sunday, May 17, 2009

Joe Torre

Last night I was searching around ESPN.com, looking at the baseball headlines, and I came across ESPN's "20 years of baseball" allstar team. I took the ballot and submitted it to the website. After I had done so the voting percentages came up and I scrolled down the list. Albert Pujols 70% for first base, yup I voted for him too, a tight race for third between A-Rod, Wade Boggs, and Chipper Jones, don't know about that one it's definitely a toss up, and after looking at few other results I finally I came to the Managers. And some how Joe Torre had gotten the top spot by, at least for me, a stunning 13%. This made me wonder how a man with such high caliber of talent every year, maybe not as much with the Dodgers but definitely with the Yankees, could not win a championship for the last eight seasons, and still be the top manager in the past 20 years. Now before I go any further I just want to point out why an idea like this would pop into my head. First, he hasn't won a championship since I was four when I didn't care about baseball, and second he was a Yankee, a team I despised my entire life (yes I can tell that in the future I'll hate them too). But then I started looking back and realized it wasn't everybody else who was voting who was wrong it was me.
The guy had won four World Series Championships in the period of five years, had .605 wining percentage, and top it off had won almost every award in baseball. That includes a gold glove, nine all star appearances, two managers of the year, the Hutch Award (honestly I don't know what it is either), and finally a NL MVP.
THE WAY I SEE IT- My half an hour of research has lead me to believe that Joe Torre is not only a fantastic Manager but also a great baseball player. His work is still showing this very day with his Dodgers sitting first in the MLB with 25 wins. He'll be a sure Hall of Famer and might even add a fifth championship ring to his already impressive resume.

By the way the link for that all star voting thing is http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/polling?event_id=3817

No comments:

Post a Comment